25 Things To Do Before You Turn 25

September 21, 2013

     I came across this list accidently on lexietomtom's tumblr, and I wanted to share it with my readers. Even if you don't follow it word for word, I hope that your able to take at least one thing from this list of advice. Happy living!





1. Make peace with your parents. Whether you finally recognize that they actually have your best interests in mind or you forgive them for being flawed human beings, you can’t happily enter adulthood with that familial brand of resentment.

2. Kiss someone you think is out of your league; kiss models and med students and entrepreneurs with part-time lives in Dubai and don’t worry about if they’re going to call you afterward.

3. Minimize your passivity.

4. Work a service job to gain some understanding of how tipping works, how to keep your cool around assholes, how a few kind words can change someone’s day.

5. Recognize freedom as a 5:30 a.m. trip to the diner with a bunch of strangers you’ve just met.

6. Try not to beat yourself up over having obtained a ‘useless’ Bachelor’s Degree. Debt is hell, and things didn’t pan out quite like you expected, but you did get to go to college, and having a degree isn’t the worst thing in the world to have. We will figure this mess out, I think, probably; the point is you’re not worth less just because there hasn’t been an immediate pay off for going to school. Be patient, work with what you have, and remember that a lot of us are in this together.

7. If you’re employed in any capacity, open a savings account. You never know when you might be unemployed or in desperate need of getting away for a few days. Even $10 a week is $520 more a year than you would’ve had otherwise.

8. Make a habit of going outside, enjoying the light, relearning your friends, forgetting the internet.

9. Go on a 4-day, brunch-fueled bender.

10. Start a relationship with your crush by telling them that you want them. Directly. Like, look them in the face and say it to them. Say, I want you. I want to be with you.

11. Learn to say ‘no’ — to yourself. Don’t keep wearing high heels if you hate them; don’t keep smoking if you’re disgusted by the way you smell the morning after; stop wasting entire days on your couch if you’re going to complain about missing the sun.

12. Take time to revisit the places that made you who you are: the apartment you grew up in, your middle school, your hometown. These places may or may not be here forever; you definitely won’t be.

13. Find a hobby that makes being alone feel lovely and empowering and like something to look forward to.

14. Think you know yourself until you meet someone better than you.

15. Forget who you are, what your priorities are, and how a person should be.

16. Identify your fears and instead of letting them dictate your every move, find and talk to people who have overcome them. Don’t settle for experiencing .000002% of what the world has to offer because you’re afraid of getting on a plane.

17. Make a habit of cleaning up and letting go. Just because it fit at one point doesn’t mean you need to keep it forever — whether ‘it’ is your favorite pair of pants or your ex.

18. Stop hating yourself.

19. Go out and watch that movie, read that book, listen to that band you already lied about watching, reading, listening to.

20. Take advantage of health insurance while you have it.

21. Make a habit of telling people how you feel, whether it means writing a gushing fan-girl email to someone whose work you love or telling your boss why you deserve a raise.

22. Date someone who says, “I love you” first.

23. Leave the country under the premise of “finding yourself.” This will be unsuccessful. Places do not change people. Instead, do a lot of solo drinking, read a lot of books, have sex in dirty hostels, and come home when you start to miss it.

24. Suck it up and buy a Macbook Pro.

25. Quit that job that’s making you miserable, end the relationship that makes you act like a lunatic, lose the friend whose sole purpose in life is making you feel like you’re perpetually on the verge of vomiting. You’re young, you’re resilient, there are other jobs and relationships and friends if you’re patient and open.







19 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will print it and put in on the wall in my room, promise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. amazing.. this is how a real woman should live

    ReplyDelete
  4. the first point has just deiscredited me. o won't ever get along with my father who left me when i was little and then when i was teenager and had to live with him he dissapeared after 1 year, i just saw him packing his stuff in his car and left. i know where he lives, i know his family. they hate me. every time i try calling them they pretend that they dont know me. my father stopped talking to me even before he left. so no. i wont make peace with him .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Making peace with him doesn't mean making up with him. It means forgiving him even when he doesn't deserve it. Forgiveness is the only thing that will free you, if you don't then you'll always be a prisoner to your own hurt. He's most likely at peace in his life and at peace with the situation but you're not. You're the one not at peace. You have to forgive him and I know bc my dad left me when I was young and I couldn't be happy until I forgave him, and the same is true with you :) I hope this helped.

      Delete
  5. Wtf! Y buy a Mac, because everybody else has it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hanging out with strangers, 4 day benders, and sex in dirty hostels? More like 25 STDs to catch before you're 25.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to be a downer once more, but I have to wonder who is financing a lifestyle that can afford 4 day benders and random travels without consequences. It certainly doesn't sound like someone who is supporting themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is exactly what I need right now. Thank you for this :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Number 6. <3 I really needed this. THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the best list I have ever read. I wasn't expecting it to be THAT awesome and I've actually done quite a few of these things already ♥
    Like 1, 2♥, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 10♥, 13, 14, 15, 18 (well he made me stop♥), 22♥, 25!!! Lol thank you so much for that list
    xx
    Julie
    The Lady Fairer

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Caroline,

    I was a glam magazine editor and so far this is the best list of 25 about things to do before or after some age.. :D
    But the design of your blog is so disturbing my eyes, I hardly could finish the reading. Watch out for a GREAT ui design and your article will rock better :)))

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm under 25, this is nice, especially the part about making peace with your family. But slightly sad. This is a reminder that we're all about the self..
    Not one of these things tells us to go and do something for someone else even though it doesn't benefit ourselves.
    I'm sure some of these things could have a good outcome though.

    Also.. what does out of your league mean? Is it someone who society tell us is better looking than us, because they are skinnier/have bigger breasts/longer hair/bigger muscles / a style that is approved by the media and people in the fashion world? No-one is out of anyone's league - some are just shallower than others.

    I hope, by the time I'm 25, I will have changed someone's life for the better, made hundreds of people smile because I told them something character building, not because I told them they look good in what they're wearing (purely because these comments don't last a lifetime, they last a moment)

    I hope I will give a person confidence in people again that never had it before by showing them that I would go to the ends of the earth to help them achieve something they have never achieved, whether that's a qualification a relationship lost, a dream or an idea. I will help them in any way I can.

    I hope I can show some young people that facebook and the way you appear to the world does not define who you are.

    I hope I will spend my money on someone else that really needs it.

    I hope I can teach a young girl that she should only give her love to a man that loves her unconditionally even if society does not see her as beautiful.

    I hope I can show a young boy that he does not need to prove himself to the world by acting masculine, drinking until his peers deem him 'a lad' that he doesn't need to sleep with every girl on the planet until he is numb inside and has forgetten / doesn't know what a real relationship is in order to be accepted.

    I hope I can sit and spend time with the people who no-one else wants to talk to, who people don't want to be associated with.

    Then after that.. I hope I can have children that I will pass these things onto to help make the world a wonderful place wherever they can. Tell them that even though they are being bullied by children at school for wearing the wrong trainers that they should hold thier heads high and remember that they have the power to change the world in a little way. And sometimes if you love these bullys anyway you will see a change that is rarely known to man.

    I hope I don't seem self-righteous, but I've seen these things a thousand times and can't help feeling we're missing something. If you've bothered to read this far. Thank-you very much :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly what I need right now! I'll put this up my room

      Delete
  13. This list is fucking great. It was a much needed read.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.